01 January 2016

Forget Me Not

I have been spending the past few hours sending glad tidings to people. Scrolling on past messages on FaceBook Messenger or Twitter's DM can be fun and frustrating. Fun because you get to relive old conversations with people who made you smile, and frustrating because of not so intelligent and insensitive exchanges bordering on unfriending/unfollowing.

Okay, so I just hit unfollow/unfriend...... Sue me.....

The point is, one get to have conversations with some of these people on birthdays and holidays which is not good. I mean, where's the real connection there? I understand that being polite is called for but up to what extent? Some of these people are those who I grew up with, some were even my friends, well, used to be my friends.

In reality, we keep people in our lives even though they don't really have meaning in our existence because we are afraid to be alone, we are afraid to be forgotten. We are afraid that during the final days of our lives, no one will remember us even after we are gone. We fear to be reduced to one tombstone marker, unnoticed by passersby.

But what if we get to keep only a few real friends who bring meaning to our lives, those who really know us inside out, and those who know what we feel by just a simple gaze? Would that trade off be acceptable? Would that be enough?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?