07 February 2012

Page 38 of 366 Book 2012

A colleague's father died. For the first time, I don't know how to console someone. For the first time, I just stood there frozen, thinking what to do, what to do, what to do? I didn't know at first what it was about until he told me about it. As I saw tears dropping like rain from his eyes, all I could do was watch. I remembered my dad - flashes and bits of memories with him when I was a kid, the times he carried me to bed, the times we argued, and the last time I saw him where he prepared lunch for me.

It dawned on me, I wouldn't want to know about any person (close to me) and his demise through an obituary, a phone call or an SMS. I would want to be beside that person at any given time, in that given circumstance. Finally, I mustered the courage to give my colleague a pat on the back as he graciously thanked me.

I still feel bad for him. On my way to somewhere, inside the car, I was the one crying. I usually do, I'm not good at receiving bad news. I just had to compose myself because the driver might think I am such a crybaby.

I should go home and see my dad again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?