18 January 2012

Merlion Purrs... Singapura!

Singapore is a "fine" city - jaywalking..FINE! Not observing traffic rules..FINE! Chewing gum..FINE! No wonder it is a very disciplined city and its people, self regulating too. Humor aside, Singapore (for me) is the safest city in the world. Try leaving your bag in the middle of nowhere and I can assure you, it will still be there when you come back, nothing stolen, nothing damaged.

Most tourists think that getting around Singapore is tough. No worries, the city has an impressive mass transportation system. All you need to arm yourself is a map and lots of common sense. Of course, it is not illegal to ask for directions when you get lost, but I assure you, for as long as you know the four basic directions, you won't end up at any help desk.Just make sure to get a copy of your FREE map when you disembark from your aircraft, or, make use of your GPS by using the FREE wifi access (yes, those on roaming are given wifi passwords everyday, and the entire city is full of wifi hotspots. Sweet!). Bring  a small bag with you to secure your passport and a small umbrella because chances are, it will rain in the afternoon.

No Singapore tour is complete without visiting Merlion Park. The park is accessible by means of MRT (their version of the train). If you want to hit two or three birds with a stone, may I suggest that you get off Raffles Place Station so you can have a side trip at Clark Quay. If you have the stamina to walk, who knows you might end up at Esplanade.

Enjoy!
The entrance to Merlion park from one of the streets. This is actually an entrance to One Fullerton, but since we wanted to maximize our walk, we opted to take the long route.

To dive in the murky waters? I think not! Besides, I don't want to end up in jail.

This same sculpture is located near a bridge along Clark Quay

I think this pretty much explains itself

Fernando Botero's Bird. I have no idea how my friend Ron went up to it's head and planked. I swear I wouldn't have missed it for the world (well according to him he almost got himself arrested)

Clark Quay is just magnificent. I bet the ferry rides are more fun at night. Up ahead is Esplanade.

Of course I had to stop by and have my photo taken with the famous Raffles Hotel as the background.

More of  Clark Quay

One thing I appreciate about Clarke Quay is the serenity of the environment

No ferry rides for me

Next stop, Raffles Hotel

Since I was toolazy to take pictures inside the hotel, I just opted to play with these beautiful Kois

This walkalator will lead you straight out  to One Fullerton which is just adjacent Merlion park

Do you even have to ask why I have a picture. See how bloated I am from all that eating.

Of course more photos!


Along the horizon, one can see Marina Bay Sands

That's the Singapore Flyer to the left

Merlion! Merlion literally means a mermaid lion. That shell like structure is Esplanade.

Merlion from a different angle

Of course, a miniature version exists at One Fullerton if you're too lazy to go near the real thing (but that's just crazy right?)

One thing I do regret is not being able to go to Esplanade. So many things to do, so little time.


And of course, with my birthday boy best friend Francis, who made everything possible.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?