22 January 2012

Page 22 of 366 Book 2012

I appreciate being home. My parents are getting used to the idea that at any moment I can just pop up, poof included for dramatic effect. My father seems to get used to my presence as well, unlike before. In fact, yesterday, he was the one who personally prepared my lunch and we have been talking about all sorts of stuff. We never did that before, even as a young kid. Some things, even people, do change.

He is more conscious about everything about me, like why my phones keep changing and why I couldn't part with my blackberry. Like why I am not wearing my contacts (haba ng explanation ko dun) or why I still love working in Antipolo despite of certain circumstances. Like why I am not shaving (and yes he asked me to shave and moisturize after it - tatay ko yun ha!). The most priceless of all - he now knows how to raise an eyebrow to make a point.

I love the early dinners - and yes, I love the fact that I don't eat alone. I just can't seem to get used to sleeping for eight hours. Today, I woke up at 12 midnight and as I was walking to the kitchen to make breakfast, it struck me it was just midnight. Went back to sleep. Woke up again. Yay, breakfast! At 3am? Went back to bed and finally woke up at 5am. Five in the morning is like 7am in Manila. Everybody's up having breakfast and doing their morning rituals.

I decided to take a walk. Maaaaan it's 12 effing degrees! Good thing I'm used to airconditioning otherwise, I'd probably solidify like a block of lard. Then it hit me, the last time I took a walk like this was when I was 15. You meet strangers hurring themselves to town and you just have to greet them good morning. Unlike in Manila, when someone approaches you at an ungodly hour, you're sure you will be robbed.
The starlit sky seemed to be different, though I know, the same parade of constellations also blanket the skies of Manila. Maybe, the stars are more twinkly here because there are no huge buildings and tall billboards to rob the attention of people from their brilliance. And then, morning lifts the sky's dark veil and hides the stars from the heavens. Another day has come.

Church is a normal occurence in La Castella. It's like an open invitation for a free for all buffet. People don't miss church here, and people never dress down or wear shabby clothes. That's how respectful people here are. But since everybody knows everybody else, when the priest gives his sign of peace, it's an endless beso beso extravaganza. Everybody is calling everybody else tito, tita, manang, manong.

Market is inevitable. It's a routine my mother and I used to do when I was younger. Of course, it is also a place to be crucified by familiar faces. "Oh my god you're so big! The last time I saw you, you were little" (bakit ate, fetus ba ako nung nagkakilala tayo?) "You never grow old, so when are you getting married" (the reason why I maintained my youth, is because I didn't marry. Tingnan mo yang anak mo, lolo na)

I've also noted, my grade school friends seem to age fast while my high school friends maintained their youth. I wonder who drinks blood this time, whatever.

The day keeps getting better....

Sent from my BlackBerry® powered by Sun Cellular

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?