10 January 2012

Page 10 of 366 Book 2012

I decided to jump into the fit and fab bandwagon for 2012 so I have been doing major portion controls on what I eat. The way I see it, it is better to watch what you eat than endure the pain of having sore muscles and running around in sweaty shorts. I found myself lurking in the most dangerous of all places – the grocery store.

People at home don’t like it when I do the grocery. If I am much maarte when doing laundry, I am five times more maarte when at the grocery. It’s like attending a session in congress or the Salem witch trials – very very very tedious, and the aisles of Rustan’s is not helping even more.

I don’t blame myself for turning out to be very scrutinizing with what I buy. After all, blame the corporations who flood us with products. Gone are the days when you can just have a simple trip to the grocery, buy what you need and lalala your way home.

Being at the grocery can be challenging, to wit:

At the dairy section: Do I choose the butter that’s “pinipili ng mapiling ina?”or  “the crowning glory of good food”? I never knew that buying something to stir fry your veggies in or something for your toast can give you complications.

Moving on milk: Do I get the brand na”Wala pa ring tatalo?”, the one that’s “trusted for generations?” “the cooking milk”? But considering my very sensitive and lactose intolerant constitution, I got a different brand.

And what about hand soap?  (Yes, handsoap. Using bar soap on your body is suicide!) Shall I get the one with “24 hours protection?”, “the one with moisturizers?” or  “the one with ¼ moisturizing cream?”?

What about toothpaste? Do I get “the one with 24 hour cavity protection?” “the one that allows you to taste and eat your ice cream at the same time?” “the one that’s proudly Pinoy?” “the one with a jingle where the brand is being spelled out with a makeshift tooth flying?” or the one for sensitive teeth?

Shampoos are a challenge too. “No more tears formula?” “Smooth as silk?”, “With more nutrients?”, “yung parang hinot-oil ang buhok?” or the one that provides “one solution for 5 hair problems?” The list just goes on and on and on.

And what about detergents?  Do I get the one that provides you “more powers?” , the one that claims “puputi ang damit kahit sa pangalawang kusutan” and....  this is endless.

With all that complication, I decided to just pick up a bag of lettuce, bean sprouts, a bag of arugula, honey mustard dressing, tomatoes, cereal, and went home before I stress myself out even more.

I hate grocery stores.

Background Music: Gypsy Woman by Crystal Waters


No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?